We know you have some questions and hopefully we have the answers! Here are set of common questions our users have asked us in the past. If it does not answer your concerns then please contact us with any questions and we will be happy to address them.
How are hosts verified by the service?
- Storage hosts are required to provide proof of identification, phone number, email, address, and photo. All hosts that have been screened and verified will show a “verified” stamp on their listing page.
- We also ask Renters to review listings to verify all information about the listing is correct before booking. This will help provide a more trustworthy service.
How do I know my items are safe?
All verified Storage Hosts have provided proof of identification and we verify each host as they join our service. PeerStorage also requires that all entrances to storage spaces are lockable or secured in some fashion at all times, unless otherwise approved by the Renter.
However, for parking spaces, there may not be an enclosed area for your vehicle, but this will be stated before renting the space.
How much does storage cost?
The Storage Host will choose their rental rate, but PeerStorage always suggests a price point 33%-50% lower than traditional self-storage units and parking spaces. Rental rates are fixed for the duration of the reservation.
What is not allowed in storage?
It is the responsibility of the Renter to ensure that the items being stored will not cause any damage or harm to the space or to the owners of the space. Restricted items include:
- Any hazardous or illegal items
- Guns and ammunition
- Hazardous waste or chemicals
- Living or dead organisms
- Pesticides and toxins
- Flammable materials
- Stolen goods
- Perishable food items
The Storage Host may specify additional restricted items, and will be listed in their posting. When placing a reservation, we recommend the Renter to disclose the types of items being stored. For additional information on storing possessions, please read through PeerStorage’s Terms & Conditions.
When and how often can I access my stored items?
Access to your possessions depends on the “Access times” displayed on the listing. There are also daily, weekly, or monthly listing types where Renters can access their items multiple times during these periods. Renters can always communicate with their Storage Hosts through the PeerStorage messaging service in the Dashboard when needing to access possessions. It is required that Renters contact Storage Hosts at least 24-48 hours before needing to access their items.
How are payments handled?
Payments are handled through our platform when you make a reservation. Renters may choose to pay with PayPal, debit, or credit card. Cash payments are not allowed at this time.
Does the home owner have access to the rented storage space?
Access control depends on the listing and agreement by the Storage Host and Renter. Listings on PeerStorage are only meant for storage rental and are not intended for other purposes. The Renter has the right to request control of access to the storage space. There may be certain instances where the Storage Host needs access to the area, but this should always be written out in the listing before reserving their space. In the case of an emergency, the Storage Host has the right to request access from the Renter to access the space.
What if a host goes on vacation or isn’t home while I need to move out my stuff?
The Storage host should use PeerStorage’s messaging system to communicate with the Renter on any unforeseen absences from their property. A Storage host must notify the Renter if they will be gone from their property for at least 7 days or over the period of the Renters move out date. If the Renter is denied access to their stuff due to the Storage host not being present on the property at the time of the Renters move out date, the Renter will not be charged extra for extended storage, and the Storage host is liable to pay a fee to PeerStorage.
What happens to my stuff if it's not moved out by the move out date?
- If a Renter needs to extend the rental period of the storage space, they will need to re-reserve the listing through PeerStorage, and it will have to be communicated with the Storage host. Our policies state the Renter’s items have to be moved out by their selected move out date so the Storage host can find other Renters to occupy the space.
- In the event that the Renter is unable to re-reserve their current rental space, they are required to move out their items no later than the selected move out date. We encourage the Renter to find another storage space in their area through our storage listings page.
- If the items are not moved out by the move out date and another Renter has the space reserved, and movers have to be hired, the Renter will be liable for the cost of the movers in order to receive their items. If the Renter does not pay for moving out their items for 60 days, their items will be held and are susceptible for auction or to be sold to cover the cost of the move out.
Does PeerStorage provide insurance for the Renter?
PeerStorage does not provide Renter insurance through our service. For your benefit and protection, insurance for your stored items is required. We encourage all Renters to check their home or renters insurance policy to determine if storage insurance is covered under their policy. If not, you may find affordable insurance coverage through Orange Door Insurance, Progressive Insurance, GEICO, amongst many other providers.
Are Renters required to have insurance to store their items?
In order to protect our customers, Renters and Storage Host’s are both required to have insurance protecting their property.
Storage Host Questions
How do I make money as a Storage host?
List your unused space on our marketplace and provide your banking information, Paypal, or Stripe accounts to receive payments. Funds paid by Renters will be held in our service until the Storage host requests a payout which is located in your Dashboard Profile under Payment Method. To receive a payout, Storage hosts must provide a PayPal account, Stripe account, or bank account information where payments can be automatically deposited. All banking and credit/debit card information is stored securely by PeerStorage and not used for any other purpose. Once a listing is reserved, the Storage host will receive full payment when the Renter reserves the space.
As a Storage host, what am I liable for?
Storage hosts are not liable for any damage that may occur to the Renters items unless the Storage host directly caused the damage. Storage hosts are liable for providing a clean, safe, and secure lockable space approved by the Renter. Please visit our Terms & Conditions page for further clarification on liability.
As a Storage host, do I pay to rent out my space?
Nope! Its free to list your space on our service! You can upgrade your listing to be featured on the home page to optimize occupancy for a small fee.
Can Storage hosts see or know the items being stored prior to reservation?
Storage hosts are encouraged to request what is being stored ahead of the move in date. Use PeerStorage’s messaging system to communicate with Renters to provide a list of items that they need to store. The Renter may choose to not show the Storage host the particular items, but Storage hosts can assure that all items being stored must abide by our Terms & Conditions. Storage hosts may also show the space to the Renter to determine if it fits their needs as a storage space.
How should I charge my space?
- PeerStorage will provide a range of rental rates dependent on the total sq. ft. of the listed space and the rental period they choose to list. Visit our suggested price trends page to see our suggested rental rates per total sq. ft of your space. Our recommended rates are competitive amongst local self-storage units geared towards maximum occupancy, and a generous income for Storage hosts. Storage hosts are welcome to charge what ever rental rate they choose for what ever rental period they list.
- Once the listing has posted, Storage hosts are able to edit their rental rate within their dashboard under My Listings.
As a Storage host, what if I am not at the property due to an emergency to let the renter access their items?
Storage hosts should designate a family member or close friend to provide access to property in the case of an emergency and the Storage host cannot be present to provide Renter access. Storage hosts must notify Renters if any emergency takes place during the Renters move out date. If the move out date is already established and the Storage host cannot provide access to the Renter, the Renter will not be charge for additional storage time. The Storage host may be liable to fees associated with not providing the Renter access to their stuff on the move out date.
As the Storage host, what if I need to access or use to the rented space?
As the Storage host, you agree to give up access to the space when a Renter reserves the space to store their items. In case of an emergency, the host may request access from the Renter if the Renter controls access to the space. If the Storage host needs the Renters items out of the storage space, we recommend they communicate this with the Renter to cancel the reservation through the service themselves. Storage hosts are required to provide a 30 day advanced notice, otherwise you will be charged a $75 fee (except in case of Terms & Conditions violations by the renter).
What are the requirements for being a Storage host?
Below is the list of requirements for listing your space on our marketplace:
In the case of home, shed, or property storage:
- Must own or live on the property with a valid physical address. Must provide valid documentation of proof such as valid driver’s license, deed, or other valid proof of ownership or renter.
- Provide email, phone number, and address
- Clean space free from mold, mildew, water, and fire damage
- Photos of space
- Space that is not occupied by anyone or anything
- If it’s a property that you don’t live in, then other proof of ownership shall be provided
- No leaks, or previous damage
- Must be older than age 18+ to sign up
In the case of vehicle storage:
- Must own the property, parking lot, parking spot, or any other vehicle parking/storing areas
- Must be clean of all debris, or obstructions which wouldn’t allow the vehicle to be safely stored
In the case of large spaces being rented out to multiple rental customers. Large spaces would preferred to be separately partitioned and secured. If the space is already being rented out and another Renter wants to rent the other half of the space, PeerStorage won’t stop them. Storage hosts must provide this information to both Renters ahead of time before renting out the same space to multiple Renters.
What if I have to remove the Renter’s items before their scheduled move out date?
- If a Storage host has to remove the Renter’s items for any reason before the scheduled move out date, the Storage host may be charged for any moving service that is needed for this unscheduled move. The Storage host will also have to refund the Renter for the days which they did not store in the Storage host rental space.
- If a moving service is not used, then the Storage host will only have to refund the Renter for the days which they did not store in the Storage hosts rental space.
What space can I rent out?
You may rent out all unused spaces which you believe someone will rent out for storage. Spaces may include:
- Garage space, including space in the overhead
- Parking spaces
- Storage sheds
- Commercial real estate
- Storage within an apartment complex
Help on your reservation
What happens if my Storage host cancels my reservation?
Do not worry your money will be safe with us and a full refund will be provided.
What is the resolution center?
What should I do if I forgot something at a place I rented?
Do not worry your item will be safe with your host. We also encourage you to provide a basic list of items you will be storing so they host knows what items are yours. We take pride in having the most trustworthy hosts who can contact you if they find one of your items. You can always contact us about your lost items, and we will contact the host to have a mutual visit time to collect items left behind.
Should I book if I have not heard back from the Storage host?
No you should not book your reservation. Better option is to get in touch with us and we will provide you with the best possible solution for your storage needs.